SAR LMS GWR

SAR LMS GWR
SAR "Commercial Street" - LMS "Wellingford & Bakewell Bridge Railway" - GWR "Porthminster" - Port Dock Station

Monday 14 January 2019

Yes, it's been awhile....

I must apologise for not posting any updates here since 2014/15. I was introduced to Facebook and I thought it was wonderful, but I'm sort of over it now, its so intrusive, so I'm ramping that down and will endeavour to post here a bit more regularly. This also means I haven't checked email comments here either which I forgot about. Just read through them and I didn't expect this much interest. I'll try to check the comment more often.

That means I need to catch up on what I've built in the last few years - which is a lot to ask really. I have built another Great Moor Street fold up layout and have started another English layout. Both of which I will endeavour to post some shots of here.

Anyway I'll start with an update on my Virginian Railway layout. Since the first post on this layout, its progress has been slow, but its at the stage of powering up and testing everything at present (January 2019). My friend Geoff and I have been building our two layouts together at his house. So I've had to venture to his place to work on it over the last two and a half years. Geoff's layout is of course on the Norfolk & Western theme and mine is on the Virginian Railway (not Railroad) theme. The Virginian was referred to as a Railway and not a Railroad as some might think, even though its American.
A lot of timber work was required for this layout due to its hilly nature. Seen here with supports and roadbeds before adding the profile boards along the front.
The profile boards now fitted. There are the three modules of my layout at the rear and the three of Geoff's from front. But later a new module will be added. Details later. The layout total length is 40 feet. (12.2 metres)
My section of the layout is based on Linn H. Wescott's design of the Port Ogden & Northern Railroad on Page 6 of the 101 Track Plans For Model Railroaders book. A quaint and very interesting concept that influenced my choice of design.
I made some changes to make it a little easier to shunt. Some tracks are re-arranged in the station area and access to the station from the mine tipple differs from Linn's plan. Turning a train around in the tipple yard that has come from the station is made easier and can be sent away to Geoff's layout engine first.
Next update will be of the track laid out and some small changes to the tipple yard. Till next time ..... Happy Railroading!

2 comments:

  1. This is great to see! I have also modified Linn Westcott's original design. I'm in the UK with a small spare bedroom so can only manage a maximum of 9ft 2ins x 7ft 4ins. I chopped LHW's design into 4 short sections, then placed one section on each side of the room and joined them with curved sections at the corners. There was a fair bit of further modification to arrive at my final plan, representing a Romanian 760mm NG mining and logging line. It gives 2 complete circles at upper and lower levels but with long end-to-end runs from log camp to sawmill and mine to processing plant, without running over the same section twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I've had some personal setbacks in the last couple of years and work had stopped on this project but I am intending to get back on it later this year. Your layout sounds like it has benefitted by the extension. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete